Songs Punk-O-Rama can’t play on the air.
You can’t say bomb on an airplane, and you can’t say fuck on the radio.
But we can still print it and post it online.
This winter break I took a plane to sunny Mexico with my roommate to visit her aunt and uncle who have retired in Puerto Vallarta. And while we were on the plane, I committed the unforgiveable up-in-the-air sin— I said bomb on an airplane. In the airport they had swabbed my roommate’s palms with some liquid and put it in a jar; there was some glass box that they were making people stand inside of while they scanned them; it was like a science lab. It took me till I got onto the plane before I came to the realization they were testing her hands for something. Something like… bomb chemicals!
Gah, sorry… I forgot, you can’t say “bomb” on an airplane. Shit happens, you know?
In music, shit happens too. So does fuck, goddam, sonofabitch… yeah, you get the picture. In punk music, that’s especially true, along with a slew of other colorful expletives.
That makes my show Punk-O-rama especially challenging, and sometimes limits the content I can play on the airwaves without invoking the wrath of the FCC. But there are some fantastic and provoking songs that feature George Carlin’s Seven Dirty Words that are banned from public programming.
Here’s a list of ten of my favorite songs you can’t play on the radio. Don’t forget to tune in for the edited versions on Punk-O-rama, every Thursday night from 9-10 p.m., only on KJHK 90.7.
10. Bad Religion- Fuck Armageddon… This is Hell // All Ages
9. Rage Against the Machine- Killing In the Name Of // Rage Against the Machine
8. Dead Kennedys- Too Drunk to Fuck // Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death
7. Sex Pistols- Friggin’ in the Riggin // The Great Rock n’ Roll Swindle
6. Minor Threat- (We’re Just A) Minor Threat // Minor Threat
5. MC5- Kick Out the Jams // Kick Out the Jams
4. Black Flag- Nervous Breakdown // Nervous Breakdown EP
3. The Replacements- God Damn Job// Stink
2. Dead Milkmen- V.F.W. // Big Lizard In My Backyard
1. Fucked Up- Police // Police 7”
by lindsey deiter
tune the f#$% in to punk-o-rama every thursday night from 9 to 10 p.m.